Richard E. Lenski
Hannah Distinguished Professor
Michigan State University
On August 13, 2016: transfer 9800 and Rich's 60th birthday!
generations of e. coli evolution and counting.
Recent Press about Our Research ...
- Carl Zimmer reports in the
New York Times on the Scence Article Repeatability and
Contingency in the Evolution of a Key Innovation in Phage Lambda by
current and former lab members: Justin R. Meyer, Devin T. Dobias, Joshua
S. Weitz, Jeffrey E. Barrick, Ryan T. Quick, and Richard E. Lenski
(26 January 2012). You can also listen to Justin's Science
- New York Times, Science News, Discover, New Scientist, Nature, and msnbc report our recent findings on evolvability (March 2011)
- BEACON, an NSF Center for the Study of Evolution in Action, is funded and announced (17 February 2010)
- Tanguy Chouard writes in Nature on the role of mutations in evolution (February 2010)
- The Greatest Show on Earth (2009) by Richard Dawkins discusses our work at length
- Carl Zimmer blogs our latest research:
A New Step in Evolution (June 2008)
- New York Times article on bacterial evolution:
Fast-Reproducing Microbes Provide a Window on Natural Selection
Also of Interest ...
Special Report on Evolution and Darwin including
my essay and
The E. coli
long-term evolution experiment
Some thoughts and
readings on the history and philosophy of science
Miscellaneous Stuff ...
- A poem by the late Nobel Prize winning Polish Poet Wislawa
Szymborska: Maybe All This
has a nice resonance with the work we do on the Long Term
Evolution Experiment. From
The New Yorker (Nov. 1992).
- For those interested in the tension between science and religion,
and my own thoughts on the subject, here are links to a
passage that I admire from a book written in the 1700s, my
portion of a
public dialogue with a theologian
in 1998, and - especially for educators - a
brief summary of the evidence for evolution.